• Delicious
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
Graduate Admissions FAQs

This section is meant to answer common questions prospective students have about admissions and graduate study in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology.  These are actual questions sent to us by prospective students.  To put a student-spin to the answers, these FAQs have been answered by graduate student volunteers in our department. 

Take a moment and see if your questions can be answered by our FAQs... who knows, perhaps you'll find something you weren't aware of or even thinking about at the time.


Q:  What are the grade point average (GPA) and graduate record exam (GRE) requirements?  Do they vary?

A:  Both the GPA and GRE requirements are competitive.  The GPA requirement is typically 3.0 or greater for your entire undergraduate record (4 yrs+).  There is no minimum for the GRE, however performance on this exam is a competitive part of graduate applications.  Depending on the number of applicants and their grades/scores, the averages may be higher.


Q:  How long should be personal statement be?

A:  There is not a standard rule on this.  In general, your personal statement should be as long as it needs to be to highlight your interests and goals.  Here's a tip: what you say is important but so is how you say it.  Grammar, spelling, and organization are also assessed.


Q:  I'm interested in working with bilingual populations.  Are there any opportunities in Wayne State's program?

A:  Wayne State is located in the multicultural city of Detroit.  As you do your practica in the community, you will encounter clients that are bilingual.


Q:  How long is the SLP Master's program?

A:  The SLP Master's program is 2 years long.  It consists of five consecutive semesters of full-time coursework and clinical placements.  It is intense but very comprehensive.


Q:  I live in Canada and I'm hoping to attend Wayne State next year, can I still work in Canada with an American degree?

A:  Yes.  If you want to work in Ontario, you must belong to the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario (CASLPO) after graduation.  This is a government legislative body for the consumer's protection; it is similar to the American association ASHA.  There may be similar requirements in other Canadian provinces.  Other than that, you can use your degree in Canada.


Q:  I am interested in applying to Wayne State but live in Canada and wonder how to figure my GPA for your American application.

A:  You can either call WSU admissions at (313) 577-3577 or the department's Undergraduate officer, Mrs. Karen O'Leary, at (313) 577-3339.


Q:  Can a clinician with less than 3-5 years experience apply to your Au.D. program?  Or is there a requirement for a certain amount of years?

A:  There is no specific experience requirement, however students will need to demonstrate competency in all basic areas of audiology as part of the requirements for completing the program.


Q:  Does Wayne State University have a distance learning Au.D.?

A:  All courses are currently planned to meet on our main campus (Detroit) or our WSU-Oakland campus (Farmington Hills).  At this time, we do not plan to have courses exclusively offered via internet or through distance learning technology.


Q:  When can I get a campus tour, and find out more about the program?

A:  Departmental open houses are great opportunities to meet faculty and students, as well as to find out all about Wayne State's Department of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology.  For the next open house, call the main office at (313) 577-3339.


Q:  Is there any type of tuition assistance offered?

A:  The Department offers limited graduate assistantships and the university offers scholarships on a competitive basis.


Q:  Will credit be given to Audiologists that demonstrate "expertise" in a specific area (as a result of many years of clinic practice), so they do not have to take a class?

A:  The Au.D. program does not offer academic credit for experience. The program is geared to provide students with advanced skills and knowledge in Audiology.


Q:  Could you tell me your perspective of WSU's graduate SLP program?  Also, what do you know about WSU's chapter of NSSLHA?

A:  Wayne State University has an excellent graduate program in Speech-Language Pathology.  The coursework is very applied to what you are, and will be, doing clinically.  The program is designed to give you experience in many different clinical settings.  In addition, you will find that the department faculty are personable and accessible to students.  In answer to your NSSLHA question, we have many students that are members of NSSLHA as well as the Wayne State Student Speech-Language-Hearing Association (WSSLHA).  WSSLHA participates in community projects, sends members to conferences, and promotes the field.  It is also a good way to meet other graduate and undergraduate students.


Q:  What do you like about the Audiology program at Wayne?

A:  One of the best things about the Audiology program at WSU is the amount of clinical experience that you will gain.  Placements include a variety of settings such as: Detroit Medical Center (DMC), private clinics, Otolaryngology clinics, and school districts.  The atmosphere is also relaxed here.  The professors are very knowledgeable, available, and flexible.


Q:  Are there any courses in Otoacoustic Emissions?

A:  Yes, there is a course in ABR and OAE together, each comprising half a semester.  The class is very detailed on both topics.  There is also a couple of clinical placements that have OAE equipment: Hutzel Hospital and Children's Hospital, to name two.


Q:  Am I still eligible to apply to your program if I'm a nonmajor (e.g., psychology)?  If not, what steps do I need to take to make it so I am?

A:  Most likely, you need to complete some core courses in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology before you apply.  However, it is possible for an outstanding student with a nonmajor undergraduate degree to be admitted to the graduate program prior to completing undergraduate prerequisites in the major.  For more information, it is best to contact our post-bachelor's advisor at 313-577-3339.


Q:  Is there just one type of program offered in Audiology or are there options?

A:  Currently, Audiology programs across the United States are transitioning to a Clinical Doctorate degree as the minimum requirement to "practice."  WSU has followed this trend and now offers a 4-year clinical doctorate (Au.D.) program for Audiology.  The Au.D. consists of 3 years of intense coursework with semester-long clinical rotations and a 4th year consisting of an internship.


Q:  I'm not sure where I want to end up working.  What are some of Wayne State's practicum settings?

A:  Wayne State offers a variety of practicum opportunities.  Each student has opportunities in the schools, the university clinic (with adults and children), and in the area teaching hospitals and clinics.

Communication Sciences & Disorders
207 Rackham Bldg 60 Farnsworth Street
Detroit, MI 48202
Phone: (313) 577-3339
Fax: (313) 577-8885
Website: clasweb.clas.wayne.edu/csd
Email: csd@wayne.edu